Sunday, December 27, 2009

Take Five: Annette Yates (Richmond)


Annette Yates has been a BDPA Richmond chapter since 1991. She maintains her allegiance to the Richmond chapter even though she is currently owner of a health spa in Phoenix AZ. I served with Annette on the National BDPA Board of Directors for many years. She is a strong advocate for BDPA in the workplace, public school system and the community.


  1. How did you get involved in working with BDPA? - My reason for joining BDPA was very selfish. I wanted to meet someone near Los Angeles to network with when I traveled to California to support the project management software package my company was using. Ruffin Bell brought my attention to a BDPA advertisement. After reviewing an advertisement I realized there was a BDPA chapter in Los Angeles. I decided to check the organization out so that I could locate someone to network with. I actually met the BDPA member at the 1993 national conference and we have been friends for 16 years.
  2. What is the most rewarding aspect of working with BDPA? - The most rewarding aspects of working with BDPA has been the mentoring, support and measurable outreach provided to young people in our Quiz Bowl, High School Computer Competition (HSCC) and college chapter programs.
  3. Tell us about a defining moment in your life? - A personal defining BDPA moment occurred for me when I realized there was a lack of computer terminology knowledge from our students in the HSCC program. After watching my 4th grade daughter compete in a Black History Quiz Bowl at her school it dawned on me that we could create a feeder program at the middle school level. That vision resulted in the BDPA Richmond Middle School Computer Quiz Bowl competition that has now been in existence since 1998. Many of the students from this middle school program eventually migrate to our chapter's high school programs. [EDITOR'S NOTE: BDPA Richmond chapter is now mentoring elementary school students in robotics].
  4. Who is your hero and why? - My company relocated me to Phoenix before I was downsized. However, it was at that moment that a remarkable opportunity dropped right in my lap. In less than 4 months I was able to take over a successful business located one block from my new home. There is only one hero and that is my Savior. I give Him all the praise!
  5. Any advice for people considering donation to BETF? - As a long-time BDPA member, it is evident that the financial support provided by BETF to BDPA education programs has made a huge impact in terms of our impact on young people. BETF financial support provides BDPA with ability to successfully provide technology skills needed by students in preparation for college. This has been very evident from the students who reached back to help other students through the BDPA technology programs over the years.

I encourage you to reply to this Take Five Interview with some BDPA-love for Annette!

No comments: