Saturday, May 1, 2010

Take Five: Hayward West (Philadelphia)

Hayward West is president of the 3-time defending BDPA Chapter-of-the-Year. He is a strategic leader who can help take BDPA to the next level in Philadelphia and around the nation. His chapter is hosting the upcoming National BDPA Technology Conference on July 28-31, 2010.

I'm pleased that Hayward took time to participate in our Take Five Interview Series.

  1. How did you get involved in working with BDPA? - I first got involved with BDPA as recruiter for Deloitte at the 2002 National Conference in Orlando. Our CIO, Larry Quinlan, sent a team of us to recruit for open positions in our team. It was my first interaction with the organization and I was very impressed with the High School Computer Competition. After seeing the work of the students and meeting some of the national officers, I knew I wanted to be a part of the organization. I joined that year.
  2. What is the most rewarding aspect of working with BDPA? - The most rewarding work is working the students. Their enthusiasm is contagious. My goal is to fill the pipeline with next generation of technologists. To expose as many students as possible to the world of technology and all it has to offer in terms of a career.
  3. Tell us about a defining moment in your life? - A defining moment in life was when I became a father. It was at that point that I knew It was time to set aside my selfish ways and plan for the future. I became more focused and determined to break the cycle and begin family traditions.
  4. Who is your hero and why? - My hero is my mother. She made me the man I am today through her strength, compassion, sacrifice, and perseverance. Those are the qualities that I strive to emulate everyday. Never accepting any excuses and failure not being option. Even with limited resources she was able to give me everything I needed to be successful.
  5. Any advice for people considering donation to BETF? Yes, Donating to BETF is wise investment in the future of our students. The organization does a phenomenal job of preparing out youth for college and beyond. The organization works hard and is very successful in bridging the digital divide by enhancing the lives of the under-served from classroom to the boardroom.

Please share some love in the COMMENTS section with Hayward!

No comments: