Friday, October 19, 2012

Take Five: Dwana Franklin-Davis (BDPA St. Louis)

I met Dwana Franklin-Davis at the 2012 BDPA Technology Conference in Baltimore, Maryland. She is the president-elect for BDPA St. Louis and she is on fire about the prospects for her chapter. Dwana is a manager with MasterCard Worldwide. She agreed to share her thoughts as part of our 'Take Five' interview series:


  1. How did you get involved with BDPA? - I joined BDPA as a student member of the Chicago Chapter while pursuing my undergraduate degree at Purdue University in computer science. I was not able to participate in the programming events of the chapter since I was away at school, but was excited to see the benefits and opportunities that were available to minorities in information technology through the chapter. I joined the St. Louis Chapter in 2009, and was elected to the Executive Vice President position in 2012.
  2. What is your favorite part of working with BDPA? - I have many favorite parts about working with BDPA. Being part of the executive team of the St. Louis Chapter has given me the opportunity to continue to grow and enhance my leadership skills outside of the work place. In addition, I have the opportunity to create programming opportunities to enhance the professional, technical and leaderships skills of the membership. Likewise, I have increased my professional network, not just in St. Louis, but also nationally through my active participation in the local Chapter and at the national conference.
  3. What future evolution or change would you like to see in BDPA? - I would be interested in seeing more student presence at the college level. Whether it be student chapters or an easier connection for college students to local chapters, I think increased opportunity would benefit both BDPA and our future IT leaders.
  4. Why should someone pay $100 membership dues to join BDPA? - BDPA offers a wealth of opportunities to the Black IT professional. Whether someone is interested in developing or enhancing their skills, networking with other IT professionals and executives, or contributing to STEM education through philanthropic endeavors, BDPA is the premiere organization for Blacks in IT.
  5. Any advice for people considering a donation to the BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF)? - The need to bridge the digital divide for Blacks “from the classroom to the boardroom” still exists. It’s United Way At-Work Campaign time, so remember to select BETF as your donation designation.


The BDPA Education and Technology Foundation seeks to raise $5,000 in college scholarships for the HSCC team trained by BDPA St. Louis chapter
. Please make a small donation in support of our cause!

No comments: