Sunday, March 2, 2008

HSCC Testimonial: Evan Hilliard (2000-2001)


The purpose of our blog is to encourage you to donate to the BDPA Education & Technology Foundation. Quite frankly, we need your support with donations, payroll deductions via United Way or Combined Federal Campaign, legacy bequests in final wills & testaments and other investments in scholarship and endowment funds so that we can support these young people.

For example, how can we find more powerful young people like Evan Hilliard? We asked Evan to share his testimonial about the High School Computer Competition (HSCC) program. Here are his words:


"My name is Evan J. Hilliard. I am 23 years old and currently reside in Charlotte NC. I am a Computer Operator for Novant Health (a large health care provider here in the southeast) as well as a Lab Facilitator for Central Piedmont Community College (one of the biggest community college systems in the country). I participated in the BDPA HSCC in 2000 and 2001.

When I first learned about the BDPA, I had already been into computers and technology for quite some time. The HSCC program seemed to be right up my alley to develop new skills as well as the opportunity to network amongst my fellow I.T. peers. What I thought would initially be something cool to do for a summer quickly turned into very lengthy and life changing experience.

I cannot put into word how much I grew as an IT professional, but just as a person interacting with an organization that had a family feel to it. There are so many positives about being on a HSCC team … I do not even know where to begin. You learn how build team work skills, working with a deadline, presentation skills, leadership development, networking skills, research\creative skills, technical skills…..the list is almost endless.

The only negative the ever comes to mind is the amount of students who are unaware and do not take advantage of all the wonderful things HSCC program has to offer. After the HSCC, I went on to participate in the first IT Showcase and served as a mentor/volunteer for students in my local chapter as well as the national level.

I hope that by sharing my experiences and knowledge with rest of my peers that it will motivate everyone to get involved and come together to do some great things. I thank the BDPA for all of the wonderful people and experiences I have had throughout the years and I only expect more from the premiere IT organization in the nation.


Take a moment to share some BDPA-Love with Evan in the comments section below.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that I may have located Evan on Facebook tonight. I'll know for sure when/if he replies to my 'friend request'...