Thursday, July 14, 2011

HSCC Testimonial: Naomi Matthews (Washington DC, 2010)

Naomi Matthews was a member of the HSCC team trained by BDPA Washington DC chapter that earned a silver medal at the 2010 National BDPA High School Computer Competition (HSCC) Championship held in Philadelphia. In the process Naomi also earned a Jesse Bemley Scholarship which she plans to use to study computer science in college.

Here is her HSCC testimonial:

Hi, my name is Naomi Matthews. I graduated from T.C. Williams High School in Alexandria, Virginia as part of the Class of 2011. I plan on attending Northern Virginia Community College in the fall with a focus on computer science. In the future I hope to land a career in either programming or some other part of the information technology industry. I will never forget my time as a High School Computer Competition (HSCC) student.

The HSCC experience affected my life in a great way. It helped me obtain an IT internship. The company hired me on the spot when they learned how much I already knew about computers.

I became friends with many of the classmates that I met during my first year in BDPA. Even from the start, my instructors knew that I had a drive in me to learn. My instructors selected me to compete in the 2009 national competition, but sadly I wasn’t able to attend. I made the national team again in my second year. This team our team traveled to Philadelphia for the 2010 national competition and returned with second place.


Naomi (Black & White blouse) & Her Team Wins 2nd Place

It saddens me that this is my final year as an HSCC student. But, this will not be my final year participating with BDPA. I plan to be back as an HSCC chaperone in the future. I will provide any support needed to support the HSCC program.

I have many, many memorable moments from HSCC, one of the most memorable being the national competition. The thrill of being involved in an event attended by people from all over the country and performing at such a high level is life changing. The real adventure is the time leading up to the national competition. The countless hours you spend studying, programming, and quizzing with your teammates is unique – it is a time that you’ll always remember.

No comments: