Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Maya Holeman Uses Monsanto Scholarship to Study Computer Science at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology

Maya Holeman
Monsanto is a powerful BDPA sponsor. They awarded four college scholarships at the 2015 National BDPA Technology Conference held earlier this year in Washington DC. One of the winning scholars is Maya Holeman, a student member of our BDPA St. Louis chapter.

Maya Holeman is an incoming freshman at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in Terre Haute, Indiana.  She is studying Software Engineering and Computer Science because she wants to learn new coding languages.  She wants to create new and different applications with the knowledge she learns in college.
"I am looking forward to the 2015 National BDPA Conference in Washington D.C. because of how much fun my teammates and I had at the 2014 conference in Indianapolis," said Maya.  "I am very thankful for joining the BDPA program during my junior year of high school because it helped me decide what major I wanted to pursue at college."
Maya attended the youth technology camp at the 2014 BDPA Technology Conference in Indianapolis, IN.  She learned about Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology during the career fair hosted by BDPA.   She represented her chapter and city as a member of the 2015 High School Computer Competition team trained by BDPA St. Louis chapter.
2015 BDPA St. Louis HSCC Team
Maya wrote, "I had very little introduction to writing up code before joining the program. Learning HTML, CSS, and PHP was a fun and educational experience with the help of our instructors in the BDPA St. Louis chapter. Most of my favorite memories are from our Tuesday night classes and when our summer project slowly came together and became a better website each week. With the knowledge this program gave me, I decided I wanted to do something like this as my career, so I decided to study Computer Science and Software Engineering."
Maya is a remarkable example of the BDPA mantra -- 'from the classroom to the boardroom'!   We are glad that she is using this college scholarship to further her career in the IT industry.   Our hope is that we will see her back at the National BDPA Technology Conference being held next year in Atlanta!

No comments: