Friday, October 6, 2017

FCA Scholar: Gerald Curtis (South University Online)

BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF) is proud to announce that Fiat Chrysler Automobile awarded a $2,500 college scholarship to four (4) students. One of those students is Gerald Curtis who attends South University Online.

When asked to share his thoughts on being a FCA scholar, Gerald wrote,

Gerald Curtis
"I am 40 years old and I currently live in Warren, MI. I am a Security Site Supervisor for U.S. Security Associates, the second largest security corporation in America. I am also a current student at South University Online Piedmont Community College (very well-known for their IT, Nursing and Criminal Justice programs). I've been a member of the BDPA Detroit High School Computer Competition team since 2015. They are an excellent bunch to get to know and are a great source to have not only on my resume but to get to know as new and interesting people.

When I first learned about the BDPA, I was already in South University as an Information technology student with quite a bit of experience in computers. When I received my first invite from the BDPA HSCC team, I was hesitant at first. I thought to myself here is another group waiting for me to send them money that I don’t have to enter but as time went along I learned you never should judge a book by its cover so I researched the program and found out many talented future leaders were with them that are now doctors, lawyers and in my case the best IT professionals on the planet came from BDPA. They seemed to be the best program for using my new skills and opportunities to network with other IT professionals. What I thought would be something of another group that was just there to enhance their program turned into a life changing experience.

I can't put into words how much I grew as an IT professional, but just as a person interacting with an organization that had a family feel to it. There are a lot great outcomes about being in BDPA. You learn how to be apart of a team, have leadership skills, how to mentor others about their careers, networking skills and IT skills. I’m glad Chrysler came up with this program. It really is heaven sent that teaches a student most importantly to have confidence in themselves and their abilities. The sky is the limit.

I hope that by sharing my experiences and knowledge with other students that it will help them to see that everyone needs a good education. If you want something bad enough go after it. Shoot for your hopes and dreams, push beyond your limitations and press towards the high mark for the prize. I thank BDPA for all they have done to make this experience a great one to all the people. I send a very special thank you from my heart."

BDPA is blessed to have such a talented technology student on board as a winner of the FCA Scholarship. We look forward to supporting Gerald's career as he seeks to advance in the technology industry!

No comments: