Friday, June 5, 2009

13 Reasons to Attend the BDPA Technology Conference?


I met Cecil Jones about a decade ago when I was trying to build up the BDPA Cincinnati chapter. He was a presenter for one of our program meetings. Later he moved to Columbus OH to work at Ohio State University. At one point he served as president of our BDPA Columbus chapter. As such, I thought BETF-blog readers would appreciate his answer to the following query:

Q: Why will you attend the National BDPA Technology Conference in Raleigh, NC during the first week in August?


Can you keep a secret? Raleigh, NC area is one of the technology capitals in the country with intellectual capital supplied by IBM, telecommunications companies, application develop organizations, project management organizations and middleware companies. Great companies will be at the conference -

Also, the seminars sharpen my technology and managerial 'game'. Here are 13 reasons that I will be at the upcoming BDPA conference:
  1. I can talk there to local Columbus hiring managers directly, freely in a one-on-one manner for long periods

  2. I find out more about what is going on in companies in Columbus and other cities

  3. I develop MEANINGFUL relationships with others in a true network sense

  4. I learn from key vendors the new products that will be released

  5. I develop that 'back up', in case my current employment situation suddenly severs

  6. I pick up consulting contracts and consulting contacts

  7. I talk with some of the best in technology in the country

  8. I have a non-threatening environment where I get my skills assessed and
    help with career goals

  9. It is great to be in an environment where hundreds of Black IT professionals are on top of their 'game'

  10. The social activities are great! Who said tech folks can't party?

  11. I develop a national network

  12. I talk with the IT Senior Management Forum to get mentors; I don't ask
    them, I just start communicating regularly and the rest follows naturally

  13. I contribute to a great national organization and network
I may fly, drive, ride with others, or catch the bus but I WILL get to the BDPA Conference!

Please attend the National conference, for your sake. In this economy, it is MORE important than ever!

Click here to register for the conference.

Cecil Jones, past president
BDPA Columbus Chapter

Why are YOU planning to attend the National BDPA Technology Conference?

No comments: