Sunday, June 28, 2009

HSCC Testimonial: Kevin Pace (Twin Cities)

This testimonial is from Kevin Pace. He is a young man trained by Michael Wulf and the BDPA Twin Cities chapter. Enjoy his thoughts on the experience:


My name is Kevin Pace. I am currently attending Winona State University. I was involved with the High School Computer Competition (HSCC) in 2005 and 2006.

BDPA Twin Cities Chapter has been a great part of my life. I first started in BDPA spring training session when I was 14 years old. I thought to myself that information technology and computer technology were the hardest things in the world. The computer training was a very great experience that challenged me to work harder not only in high school itself, but also on Saturdays with BDPA.

With the hard work and determination, I was able to go to my first BDPA national conference and competition in Detroit. I had a lot fun networking with other students from other chapters during the 2005 national competition in Detroit. Some students had the same background in computers as I did (little to none) and I felt very welcomed. During the competition I remember getting the highest number right on the test part and we as a team did very good on the group test. I was the data base person that networked our webpage together in the website building competition. We finished in 17th place at the end of the 2005 national competition.

We did better the next year. We finished in 10th place at the 2006 national competition in Los Angeles.

BDPA did change my world perspective on my college approach. For instance, I wanted to go to Wartburg College as a Pre-Med mayor. After gaining knowledge from BDPA, I decided to major in Clinical Laboratory Science at Winona State University. I was able to build a bridge between my interests in both computer technology and medicine. I am very grateful to be in a life-changing organization like BDPA. I look forward giving back to BDPA has its giving me as a teenager.

Testimonial written in May 2009 by Kevin Pace, Clinical Laboratory Science Major, Winona State University


There are over 1,500 students that have participated in the HSCC events since their inception in the mid-1980s. My hope is to document the stories of as many of those students as possible. What are your thoughts on Kevin's remembrances?

No comments: