Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Hassan Moustafa Uses Bemley Scholarship for Bio-Engineering Degree at University of Maryland


Hassan Moustafa was a member of the silver-medal winning high school computer competition (HSCC) team trained by BDPA Washington DC at the 2008 National BDPA Conference held in Atlanta GA.

BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF) awarded a Bemley Scholarship to Hassan and his teammates for their outstanding performance in the national HSCC championships. We thought you would be interested in hearing directly from Hassan on his experience:




Hello my name is Hassan Moustafa. I graduated from high school in 2008 from Charles Herbert Flowers High School. I am currently attending the University of Maryland College Park, studying bioengineering. During the fall semester of 2008, I attend Prince George’s Community College as I waited to be admitted into the University of Maryland College Park for the spring semester of 2009. Even though I am currently majoring in bioengineering, I have learned a lot through the BDPA and HSCC programs about the information technology industry. I plan on integrating all I have learned about programming and expanding my knowledge base in order to explore a useful application for it within my discipline as I am gaining laboratory experience.

Furthermore, I have only participated in the HSCC program for only one year, as I was a high school senior year at the time. I regret finding about the HSCC program during my senior year, because that made it the first and final year I could be a part of the program. I learned so much from my mentors about programming in general, but I learned more so about teamwork and effort working with my teammates as well. My most memorable HSCC moments would have to be those days before the competition, where the whole team would prepare diligently for all three parts of the competition. We worked on different strategies and experimented with all of them for hours each day. I truly miss those indelible moments. In summation, the HSCC has impacted me in becoming more open to learning something so new and at times abstract by introducing me to different programming languages that I had no prior exposure to. It was very interesting to see its application in our real-world applications and I plan on continuing to learn more programming even as a bioengineer.


We need your help. BETF provided over $233,000 in scholarships since 1996 ... however, our ability to continue providing these Bemley Scholarships next year is jeapordized without donor support. Please consider making a secure online donation now so that we can help more HSCC students attend college!

No comments: