Sunday, August 2, 2009

BDPA IT Showcase: TeraGrid Outreach through HPC Student Competitions (Bryan Bemley)


Bryan Bemley earned the 2008 BDPA IT Showcase (College Division) silver medal last year in Atlanta GA. His presentation, TeraGrid Outreach through HPC Student Competitions, provided insights that should be of interest to BDPA leaders around the nation.

Bryan is a member of BDPA Washington DC chapter. We asked him to share insights on his background and plans as it relates to the information technology industry:


My name is Bryan Christopher Bemley. I am a twenty-year-old undergraduate currently attending Bowie State University in Bowie, MD. I have been using computers since the age of four. Ever since then, I have been deeply involved with the field of computing. I learned basic C programming in the fourth grade and continued through the sixth grade. I learned Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) in the sixth and seventh grades. I am still in the process of learning C, HTML, and other programming and scripting languages including C++ and Artificial Intelligent Markup Language (AIML).

I have presented in many local and national conferences in many different topics of Computer Science. Some of the topics include Genetic Algorithms, Neural Networks, Smart Toys, and Programming. Some of the conferences that I have presented at include the National Technical Association (NTA) computer conference, the National BDPA IT Showcase, World Multiconference on Systemics, Cybernetics, and Informatics (SCI), the District Of Columbia Computer Conference (DCCSC), and the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN).

Some of the papers I presented in the past was entitled 'Solving the Traveling Salesman Problem using Genetic Algorithms' and 'Solving the Touch Sensor Problem using Lego Mindstorms'.

I am currently doing research in 3D modeling and animation, graphic arts and design, web design and development, and C and C++ programming. Some of my future goals are to start my own 3D animation and web development company and to develop computer applications that can make the use of a computer better for everyday life.

Wouldn't you agree that this is a remarkable young man?

No comments: