Monday, August 10, 2009

National BDPA Elects New Officers -- Congratulations to Monique Berry and Charles Moore


National BDPA held elections last week during the 31st annual BDPA Technology Conference in Raleigh NC. Monique Berry (Philadelphia) won a unanimous vote to serve as our National BDPA President-Elect (2010-2011). She will subsequently serve as national president in 2012-2013. Monique has been chapter president-elect (2006-2007) and chapter president (2008-2009) in Philadelphia over the past four year. It is worth noting that the chapter has won the highest accolades given out to a chapter -- Chapter of the Year -- in each of the past three years.

Monique added to her legacy by being named the 2009 BDPA Chapter President of the Year.

Monique goes into the national leadership arena with a great deal of momentum. It is my hope that she and the incoming national president, Yvette Graham (Chicago) will form a mighty union that will take BDPA to greater levels of measurable success in 2010 and beyond. We can no longer afford to stagnate ... as we've done over the past few years.

The delegates also voted in a new Vice President-Finance (VPF) last week in Raleigh NC. Charles Moore (Charlotte) won a tightly-contested election over current national VPF Monica Bowe (Cleveland). I am not as comfortable or confident that the delegates made the right decision. I tend to think that the majority of the delegates voted with their hearts and not their heads on this one. Charles is a great guy ... but, I think that he is wrong-headed about a number of his election objectives (e.g., "Obtain BDPA’s 501(c)3 tax status").

I hope that Mr. Moore proves me wrong. I hope that he becomes a strong and disciplined financial leader that inspires the trust and fealty of all BDPA members. Further, I hope that he figures out a way to keep Monica Bowe on his team in 2010-2011. That would be a great sign of leadership on his part.

Personally, I will miss serving on the National BDPA Board of Directors with Yvette, Monique and Charles. I understand that the delegates decided to remove the BETF Executive Director from the National BDPA Board of Directors. I think that it was a short-sighted move. However, it is consistent with the short-sighted direction of our current national leader.

Time will tell if BDPA can re-focus on the big picture when it comes to programs, services, membership and finance. I have the utmost in confidence in incoming national leadership team (Yvette and Monique). I hope that BDPA can survive the new few months until the new team is officially in place on January 1, 2010.

In the meantime, I will continue to focus on building a strong national foundation that can provide additional financial resources in support of BDPA's local and national education & technology programs in 2010 and beyond. I know that Yvette and Monique beleive in the BDPA Foundation. I hope that Charles will take time to figure it out before he takes office.

I no longer hold out hope for the current national leader. She could never see the vision for BETF as evidenced by her unwillingness to work in synergy with us over the past 20 months.

Anyhow, I hope that all BETF-blog readers join me in wishing the best of luck to Yvette and Monique as they begin transition planning for 2010. It should be a remarkable year of hope and change for all of us that love BDPA. What say u?

No comments: