Monday, May 2, 2011

HSCC Testimonial: Alex Tolbert (Cleveland, 2007-2009)

Alex Tolbert
BDPA Cleveland chapter has a rich history. In the past few years the chapter has made a concerted effort to teach programming and web development skills to high school students. One of the star pupils has been Alex Tolbert. Alex represented the chapter in the national High School Student Competition (HSCC) championships held in Washington DC (2007), Atlanta (2008) and Raleigh (2009). His team finished as high as 6th place.


Alex shared his thoughts about BDPA with us:


My experiences with BDPA Cleveland chapter have been nothing short of amazing. I had the opportunity to learn multiple coding languages and website design over the course of my three years participating in the chapter’s Student Information Technology Education & Scholarship (SITES) program. I met valuable new acquaintances and friends every year I participated. Each year of the program presented new and interesting challenges that I was more than happy to confront.

On top of the knowledge and contacts I gained as part of BDPA I was also able to earn college credits for my work. Each year I participated in the program I was fortunate enough to earn a place on the team from Cleveland that competed in the National BDPA High School Computer Competition (HSCC) championship. I filled a variety of roles as a member of the HSCC team and had positive and educational experiences at every conference.

BDPA Cleveland is still working with young people ... in fact, they are looking for help in raising enough money to give young 'uns like Alex a college scholarship. Can you help the chapter?

No comments: