Monday, September 3, 2007

HSCC Testimonial: Marvin Street (BDPA Detroit, 2001)

2001 was quite a few years ago, however, I do remember the competition being very intense - much more intense than the real world is. However, I also remember enjoying myself at the social and enjoying being around so many other people who were into the same things I was. It was an excellent opportunity to travel to a new city. I had never been to Chicago before the competition. Coincidentally, I fell in love with the city and I currently live in the south suburbs of Chicago.

I'm still best friends with two of my teammates, although we were already beginning to become friends just before I was introduced to the program. I'm sure that our shared experience as teammates helped push us that much closer and lead us to rely on each other.

My coaches were fantastic. Danielle (Templeton) and Dwight (Hugget) are both still heavily involved in my life. They still offer advice and assistance when I need it, and I feel like I can rely on either of them in any time of need. The entire BDPA experience, at least for me, was a life-changer. It helped me focus my interests. It also introduced me to some people and experiences that have helped shape my life since.




BETF seeks testimonials from any alumni of the high school computer competition (HSCC). Please contact us if you know of any HSCC alumni from 1986 to 2007 that could inspire others with their testimonial. In the meantime, do any of y'all remember the 2001 BDPA Technology Conference in Chicago, IL?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did any of our readers attend the 2001 National BDPA Conference held in Chicago? Care to share your memories of that conference?

Personally, I have two highlights from that conference. First, I won the election to become national president-elect (2002-2003).

Second, I remember that big white boat that the chapter used as a fundraiser on Friday night of that conference. It was parked right outside of the hotel as I recall. Remarkable...