Sunday, October 9, 2011

HSCC Testimonial: Jordan West (BDPA Philadelphia, 2007-2008)

BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF) has awarded $344,200 in scholarship funding over the past decade. The shame of it is that there are hundreds of high school kids that have worked hard in BDPA programs without earning a college scholarship from us. BETF has a vision of giving out full 4-year college scholarships to every student in our program. After all, there are wonderful youngsters like Jordan West who work hard in our Student Information Technology Education & Scholarship (SITES) program who deserve all the rewards of participation that we can possibly pull together.

Jordan was a member of the national High School Computer Competition (HSCC) team trained by BDPA Philadelphia for the 2007 (Washington DC) and 2008 (Atlanta) national HSCC championships. He was kind enough to share his thoughts on BDPA with us:

"My time in the high school computer competition (HSCC) program for BDPA Philadelphia did a lot in helping to shape the person I am today. The program not only taught me skills in working in technology; but also in connecting with other people my age with like minded interests, meeting with older businessmen who could help me on my career path, and allowing me to travel to different places across America.

My first year in the program was difficult as I didn’t have a great understanding of exactly what I would be doing before I began. Also, I felt as though the other kids in the group were older, more experienced, and better with the information than I was. However, this increased my desire to want to go to the meetings to make sure that I kept up with the other students.

My second year in as a part of the HSCC team was easier that the first, but still difficult. I wasn’t nervous anymore but the difficulty of the material and the amount of time we spent learning it was greatly increased. That made it harder for me to keep up my dedication to the classes but it was worth it in the end as I still remember most of the things I learned in those meetings.

The BDPA HSCC programs also gave me countless opportunities to network with others. The national conferences were a great platform to meet with people across the country and attend different workshops to learn how to interview, build a résumé, and other important job skills. It also gave me the opportunity to see parts of the country that I may not have gone to."

I hope that Jordan's story will encourage you to support the BDPA Philadelphia HSCC Scholarship Fund. Every donation makes a difference in the lives of a young person like Jordan!

No comments: