Saturday, August 6, 2016

Amber Young Uses Fiat Chrysler Automotive Scholarship at University of Maryland

Amber Young * Michigan State University
BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF) is proud to announce that Fiat Chrysler Automobile awarded a $2,500 college scholarship to four (4) students. One of those students is Amber Young of University of Maryland.

Amber recently joined our BDPA Detroit chapter. When asked to share her thoughts on being a FCA scholar, Amber wrote,
"My name is Amber Young and I am a senior at Cranbrook Kingswood School in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. I am interested in a career in neuroscience. During the summer of 2015 I worked as a BDPA intern at Trinity Health Corporation in Livonia, Michigan. I worked in the IT Project Management Office supporting an electronic medical record project for St. Francis Hospital in Wilmington, Delaware. This internship provided me with an opportunity to learn about project management in an information technology implementation/ I also was able to meet senior management across the enterprise and physician staff at Saint Mary’s Hospital.

While attending the BDPA national conference in Washington, DC I learned about computer technology, coding and media development. I learned about future career possibilities in computer science and its growing importance in the era of technology. My favorite part of this experience was 3D printing. I learned the applications of 3D printing in engineering and biomedicine. I used TinkerCAD software to develop my own 3Ddesign of a biosensor. Biosensors are devices that detect a biological analyte by converting specific entities such as DNA and proteins into an electrical signal that can be measured in biomarkers as evidence of disease. Biosensing technology provides efficient, accurate detection of diseases and determines drug effectiveness. My experience at the conference has helped me better understand ways that technology can be used in life science."
BDPA is blessed to have such a young and talented technology student on board as both a member and as winner of the FCA Scholarship. We look forward to supporting Amber's career as she seeks to advance in the technology industry!

No comments: