Monday, February 7, 2011

Take Five: Carter Hill (Atlanta)

Originally Posted: 2/7/2010
BDPA Atlanta chapter elected Carter Hill to take them to the next level. I look forward to seeing how he does over the coming months and years. For now, we are grateful to Carter for participating in our Take Five interview series. Here is what he had to say:


  1. How did you get involved in working with BDPA? - I originally got involved with BDPA back in the year 1994. I was working in Omaha, Nebraska and was beginning to network with various organizations. I had been a member of the National Society of Black Engineers and was intrigued with an organization for African Americans specifically in the IT field. Within a year, I had helped found the Omaha chapter and served as its Treasurer. After moving from the Midwest to Atlanta, I took a break from BDPA. But I've been involved with the Atlanta chapter consistently since 2007 and wouldn't trade these experiences for the world. [NOTE: Carter is shown in photo with past Atlanta chapter president Teresa Williams]
  2. What is the most rewarding aspect of working with BDPA? - The thing I find most rewarding with BDPA is our community outreach particularly the HSCC programs. Our ability to change the lives of young people and show them an alternative is priceless. The mass media seems to want to tell young Black people their only career options are in sports and entertainment. The election of Barack Obama to the Presidency has greatly helped to counter that notion. However, organization like ours working nationally and at the grass roots level still have a lot of work to do. BDPA instills in our students the belief that they can achieve in any legitimate field of endeavor that they wish. If we can do the same at the middle school and collegiate level, then we can definitely live up to our vision of "From the classroom to the boardroom"
  3. Tell us about a defining moment in your life? - The defining moment of my life was the day I got a scholarship letter from my undergraduate institute Morris Brown College. Prior to this time nobody on either side of my family had ever attended college. It was then that I realized that dreams can come true and you can change your life through hard work. From that moment forward my life has drastically changed from that of my peers and family. Education and perseverance are key to succeeding in life. I think that is why I believe so deeply in BDPA's mission. When we teach the HSCC students we are not just teaching them web development and database concepts, we are teaching them how to change the course of their lives.
  4. Who is your hero and why? - There are several people that I have admired for their accomplishments like Nelson Mandela, James Doolittle or Paul Robeson. But I can't really say that I have one that I would call a personal hero.
  5. Any advice for people considering donation to BETF? - BETF allows BDPA chapters to function and operate their SITES programs. So I would tell a potential donor to give abundantly and often.

I remember when we had the BDPA chapter in Omaha NE. Although that chapter didn't survive it is wonderful to see that the talent uncovered in Nebraska is still supporting our BDPA efforts! I hope that you will take a moment to share some BDPA-Love with Bro. Hill!

No comments: