Saturday, August 20, 2016

Darren Young Uses Rackspace Scholarship at Purdue University

Darren Young * Purdue University
BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF) is proud to announce that Rackspace awarded a $1,000 college scholarship to two (2) students.   One of those students is Darren Young of Purdue University.  Rackspace is the #1 managed cloud company, helps businesses tap the power of cloud computing without the complexity and cost of managing it on their own.

Darren recently joined our BDPA Indianapolis chapter. When asked to share his thoughts on being a Rackspace scholar, Darren wrote,

"Ever since I began participating in the BDPA IT Showcase and attending the BDPA conference, I have felt a whole new level of inspiration and motivation diving into my IT professional career. The most impactful moments for me have been getting a chance to hear technical sessions lead by African American men and women in tech, as well as getting feedback from African American men and women in tech on how I can better myself. Going to a predominantly white institution, it is not often that I get to see successful men and women who look like me, and those numbers drop even lower when I look for these mentors in the field of technology. BDPA has given me further confidence that I have chosen the right industry and career path by allowing me to engage with students in my field, solve challenging technical research projects, and giving me access to a pool of top minority mentors in the field of technology. I am looking forward to finishing out my last few years going to the BDPA conferences as an undergrad and then going back when I am a full time employee somewhere."
Darren is currently a Junior at Purdue University studying Information Systems and Computer Information Technology. He has had a passion for working with Technology since middle school solving his parents “turn it off and turn it back on” questions. But he has gotten a chance to validate that passion with his past 2 internships in General Electric’s Digital leadership program. He spent last summer in a Data Analytics role, and this past summer he got to explore in the DevOps and cloud space.

Aside from work Darren stays very active on campus as the President of the Society of Minority Managers. He is also the co-founder and vice president for the Purdue Club Basketball Team. Darren believes that information technology is a powerful tool that can be used to make life easier and is a revolutionary necessity for every business. He strives to master business and technology tactics and merge his knowledge of the two giants to add value to a company and make the world we live in convenient, pleasant, connected and productive.

BDPA is blessed to have such a young and talented technology student on board as both a member and as winner of the 1st Annual Rackspace Scholarship. We look forward to supporting Darren's career as he seeks to advance in the technology industry!

No comments: