Friday, August 18, 2017

Braxton Garner-Robinson Will Use Bemley Scholarship at University of South Carolina

BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF) is proud to announce that Braxton Garner-Robinson will use the Bemley Scholarship awarded all the members of the BDPA Greater Columbia High School Computer Competition (HSCC) team with a $2,500 college scholarship at the University of South Carolina. He won the scholarships by working as member of the HSCC team in both 2014 (2nd place, $1,500 scholarship) and 2015 (3rd place, $1,000 scholarship).

Braxton Robinson * Bemley Scholar
Braxton is a freshman at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, South Carolina. He plans to study computer information systems, and become a network analyst. Eventually, he would like to own his own business focusing on cybersecurity. During the summer of 2014, he worked as a poll worker with the Lexington County Voter’s Registration Office for local and state elections and he has been a front service clerk (bagger) at Publix Supermarkets since June 2015.

We asked Braxton to share his thoughts about BDPA:

"Throughout middle school and high school, I have participated in the BDPA Greater Columbia as a student and also as a part of the HSCC team. This program has helped me strengthen my coding skills and soft skills such as communication, problem solving, adaptability, and conflict resolution. During my time being a part of the high school computer competition team, we have earned 2nd and 3rd place in the national competition.

My most memorable moment is earning 2nd place in the competition, the feeling of hard work being turned into results gave me a sense of accomplishment. I apply this moment to my daily life as I will begin college this fall, and I know that if I work hard there is no limit to what I can accomplish in the future. HSCC has had such a positive impact on my life, I begin every day with the goal of working hard and I know that everything else will fall in line, it has taught me so many important lessons that have prepared me for the many challenges that I have faced in life.

BDPA is blessed to have such a young and talented student as a winner of the Bemley Scholarship. We look forward to supporting Braxton's career as he seeks to advance in the technology industry!

No comments: