Monday, September 11, 2017

Asha Chen-Phang Will Use Johnson & Johnson Scholarship at Northeastern University

BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF) is proud to announce that Johnson & Johnson awarded a $2,500 college scholarship to nine (9) students. One of those students is Asha Chen-Phang from Hartford CT, who will use the scholarship to support her study of electrical engineering at Northeastern University.

We asked Asha to share her background info with BDPA members:

Asha Chen-Phang, JnJ Scholar (2017)
"I am currently enrolled in a five-year program at Northeastern University. As a student at Northeastern, I'm pursuing my Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering and my Master's in Electrical and Computer Engineering. Throughout the last three years, I have actively participated in Northeastern's chapter of the National Society of Black Engineers, serving as our Technical Outreach & Community Help (TORCH) Chair, External Vice President, and currently as President.

Moreover, I have been involved in multiple research endeavors thus far. One conducted in the Northeastern University Computer Architecture Laboratory, assessing the reliability of Graphics Processing Units through simulation. Another through the LSAMP COSEE-TEK Ocean Science & Technology Challenge a competition in which my team developed a device designed to identify elevation levels of the benthic layer of the Long Island Sound using ultrasonic transduction technology. And finally, a National Science Foundation sponsored Research Experience for Undergraduates developing a website for underrepresented minorities seeking job opportunities.

Furthermore, I have participated in two co-op/internship experiences, one in IT/DevOps at MedTouch and another in Networking Solutions Engineering at Dell EMC. Ultimately, once I obtain my degree, I hope to utilize my engineering capabilities to develop breakthrough technological innovations that improve the quality of living world-wide. However, on a smaller scale, I would love the opportunity to find a way to support and advocate the pursuit of STEM careers among the many children of the middle to lower-class families in my hometown of Hartford, Connecticut."

BDPA is blessed to have such a young and talented student as a winner of the Johnson & Johnson Scholarship. We look forward to supporting Asha's career as she seeks to start career in technology! 

No comments: