Thursday, August 30, 2007

HSCC Testimonial: Angela Porter (2002-2005)

The BDPA High School Computer Competition (HSCC) is over 20 years old. BETF is proud to provide Jesse Bemley Scholarships to students who perform well in that annual competition.

One student who took full advantage of this opportunity from 2002-2005 is Angela Porter. Her team from Southern Minnesota won the 2005 HSCC national championship during our annual conference in Detroit, MI. She received scholarships from BETF and elsewhere sufficient to give her a full ride at Howard University.

Angie was kind enough to share her testimonial with us. Our hope is that her words will inspire you to make a donation to our Bemley Scholarship fund. Angie wrote,

It is so great to know that I am still in the thoughts of those who have greatly inspired me. Everyone I’ve met through BDPA has greatly influenced my life, and I am both honored and excited to share my HSCC experience with others.

I was part of BDPA’s High School Computer Competition between 2002 and 2005. I absolutely have to count 2002 because that was the year that Southern Minnesota’s team came in 10th place.
We were in Orlando that year enjoying DisneyWorld as we were pampered by the organization every hour of the day. The hotel was marvelous, the food was wonderful, and DisneyWorld, of course, was great.

Orlando showed me something very important that has stayed with me since 2002: that there were young African Americans just like me who were intelligent, driven, and unashamed of being that way. We all had the same goal, and instead of being strange or out of the norm, that felt entirely natural. Being around so many Black intellectuals gave me a sense of belonging and pride that I just haven’t been able to let go. Had it not been for HSCC 2002, I probably wouldn’t be where I am today, and today I feel that I am in a great place.

Winning second place in
2003, I believe, was the direct result of our 10th place standing in 2002. I remember leaving Orlando after losing that year feeling extremely motivated to do well the next year. The competitiveness of HSCC is extreme. If anything, when you walk into the competition you want nothing but to do well. You want people to see how hard you have been working. In 2002, we learned how it felt to lose out, and to me, that was absolutely necessary in order for us to win.

Click here to read the rest of Angie's testimonial.

Angie's legacy in Southern Minnesota continued this year ... her chapter won the HSCC national championship last month in Washington DC!

BETF seeks other testimonials from HSCC competitors. Please POST A COMMENT below if you have any thoughts on the HSCC competition from either a student, coach, coordinator or member perspective. What say u?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Anyone from BDPA Southern Minnesota chapter? Howard University? or Angie herself? out there and willing to comment on this post?

Unknown said...

I wonder how Angie did at Howard University last year? Also, I understand we have other BDPA student members heading to Howard this year. Congrats Bisons!