Friday, August 5, 2011

Bemley Scholar Courtney Elzy Heads to Illinois State University

BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF) has given out hundreds of college scholarships over the year. It never gets old! There are BETF scholarship winners attending major colleges and universities all over the nation.

Today we learn that Courtney Elzy -- a member of the 2008 BDPA High School Computer Competition (HSCC) Championship bronze-medalists trained by BDPA Chicago chapter -- plans to use her Jesse Bemley Scholarship to study graphics design at Illinois State University.


Courtney shared insights on her BDPA experience with us:

The first day joining BDPA might have been the most nervous I’ve ever been in my life. I didn’t know much about what the program was about nor what was expected of me. The only thing I was sure of was my pattern skills were good enough to get me in.

I remember walking into a classroom of new faces, holding my head down scared of what people might say, being new and all. Accompanied by my aunt, who was way more excited than I was, I honestly wanted to go home. I was a freshmen and I was surrounded by older kids who knew what they were doing and were confident.

I remember months later becoming as confident as my teammates, and changing from the shy girl to the girl who didn’t want to be quiet. I’ll admit it was hard for me to stay focused and push myself to be better. But when the actual BDPA National High School Computer Competition (HSCC) came that year I was ecstatic and ready to compete. That year Chicago came in 3rd place, and I couldn’t have been more happy and pleased with myself and my team.

Since 2008 I stayed on for one more year, then decided that I needed to focus more on school. But thankfully I have still managed to maintain very close relationships with my coaches and members of my team.

This fall I will be attending Illinois State University as a Graphic Design major!

I would like to show my appreciation and thank BETF and BDPA for furthering my knowledge of information technology and opening my eyes to the many great and amazing people I have met over the years. Also, I want to share my appreciation for Gibran McDuffie, Pamela Norfleet, Bryan Moore, Yvette Graham, and the host of other BDPA Chicago chapter members and volunteers that have helped me throughout my HSCC experience.

Courtney is an inspiration to all of us that love the good works of BDPA. We want to continue giving out Bemley Scholarships for many years to come to other young people like Courtney. We can't continue without your help!

No comments: