- How did you get involved with BDPA? - I became involved with the organization through my employer, Quest Diagnostics. I became aware of BDPA back in 2006 when Quest Diagnostics became a corporate sponsor. Several employees of Quest Diagnostics were provided with corporate memberships into BDPA. I did my research and ultimately begin submitting extracts to be a presenter at the annual national conferences. I have had the opportunity to be a presenter at least 5 times since joining BDPA. I am also proud to have been nominated as President-Elect for the chapter in 2011.
- What do you see as the biggest benefit of your BDPA membership? - The most valuable asset that I have experienced is the opportunity to network with such a large group of talented and well-connected individuals. It also provides a resource for increasing one's knowledge by participating in the various workshops. Lastly, BDPA conferences and the overall participation keeps an IT Professional aware of what the market needs and changes are.
- What future evolution or change would you like to see in BDPA? - I would like to see the organization partner with other organizations that are not necessarily IT-focused but instead serve as a Talent Management function. By doing this, I think that the participants of BDPA can use their membership to better connect with and become aware of jobs that are or might become available in their arena. I think also that by partnering with other organizations (e.g., National Association of Black Accountants or International Institute of Business Analysis) we will give members other avenues to advance their careers.
- What would you like Corporate America to know about BDPA? - Overall, I would like Corporate America to be aware of the tremendous pool of talent that makes up the BDPA organization. Corporate American should embrace and partner with BDPA in order to find a direct connection for resources that might be required for their organization. Finally, I would like to see Corporate America 'Embrace Diversity' in numbers and not just words.
- Any advice for people considering donation to the BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF)? - My simple advise to donors would be that this is an opportunity to 'get what you pay for'. Good talent is hard to find but by making the investment, there is benefit for all parties involved.
You can find Beverly on the LinkedIn Network or the BDPA Groupsite.