Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Classroom to the Boardroom: Jose Santiago (2005 HSCC Alumni)

I'm convinced that BDPA is an organization that should be part of the toolkit for anyone ... especially people of color ... that seek to advance their careers in the information technology industry from the classroom to the boardroom.

Jose Santiago is a prime example. Jose was a member of the 2005 high school computer competition (HSCC) team trained by BDPA New Jersey chapter. His team took home the bronze medal from the national HSCC championships held that year in Detroit.

Jose graduated from Science High School in 2006 ... and he is on target to graduate from the New Jersey Institute of Technology later this year. In the meantime, he became an entrepreneur. Jose is owner of Binary Development, a web development company.

He recently entered a competition called 'Campus CEO'. This competition pits current and aspiring entrepreneurs in high school and college against one another for the opportunity to win cash, prizes, and free consulting for the growth of their company, as well attention from potential investors.

Jose was one of 10 semi-finalists. We should learn shortly if he became one of the five (5) finalists that will present an elevator pitch at an awards luncheon scheduled for the last day of March in a last ditch effort to out do one another before the winners are announced that day.

The list of competitors links to the details of each one, with his submission being 6th on the list under the name Binary Development.

Share some 'BDPA-Love' with our HSCC alum! Are there other examples of 'classroom to boardroom' around the nation?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jose Santiago is one of the five finalists for 2010 Campus CEO Challenge.
----------------------
Jose wrote, "Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to thank you all for your votes to help my company in the Campus CEO competition, and I am extremely excited to share the great news that I have been chosen as a finalist!

Apparently, they were not able to, or simply voted against, fixing the broken voting system that has been giving errors to those trying to vote and view results within the last 4 days, so they have accepted the results as they stood prior to the malfunction. The results placed my company at 18% of the votes and and every other participant at around 9% with a half million votes in total (wowzers)! I will be participating in the final round of competition on March 31st at NJIT's Campus Center during the Awards Luncheon, where I will make my 3 minute elevator pitch as my last shot to set myself apart from the competition.

I will keep you all updated on how things go, and once again thank you so much for all of your votes!

Now I am off to study some more for my 3 on-campus midterms on this very rainy day. Enjoy your weekend everyone, see you or talk to you all when I return from Spring Break next week.

Thanks gang,
Jose