Saturday, May 12, 2012

HSCC Testimonial: Quenice Simms (BDPA Washington DC, 2008)

My name is Quenice Simms and I am extremely proud to have participated as a member of the 2008 High School Computer Competition (HSCC) national team trained by BDPA Washington DC chapter. I remember my first interview with my BDPA instructors Mr. Lou Shack, Mr. Ed Yeldell and Mr. Edwards. They were committed and dedicated to the program, students, and parents. Their expectations for the students were well above what we expected for ourselves coming into the program.

Our BDPA instructors were knowledgeable, thorough, and most of all, patient. Mr. Shack, Mr. Yeldell, and Mr. Edwards were the greatest instructors a student could ask for. They made the learning process much easier. We were able to focus on the content of what was being taught. Computer programming can be difficult, but with the right instructors it can be accomplished. My instructors knew that I had potential to be one of the brightest students in the class. I was selected to compete in the national competition during my first year. Our team came in 2nd place during the 2008 national BDPA HSCC championship. That was a very rewarding and memorable experience that I’ll never forget. I will always have a love for technology thanks to the BDPA Washington DC Chapter.

BDPA was a life-changing experience for me. I learned the true meaning of teamwork. We all set out to tackle and accomplish the same goal. We worked in sync, and spent endless hours preparing for competitions. The notes and quizzes helped me to become more structured in my daily life, and the wealth of knowledge learned will carry on in aspects of my educational and career goals. This generation is highly dependent on technology, and without BDPA I would not be where I am today.

My educational and career goals are to attend Hampton University in order to obtain my Bachelors in kinesiology.  Masters in Bio-kinesiology and my Ph.D in physical therapy sports medicine. I am mesmerized at how exercise, therapy, and an open mind can repair the human body. My plan is to open a not-for-profit Physical Therapy Center that service high school students with sports-related injuries. The center would be open seven days a week, assisting those with financial need. For some student athletes, dreams are all that they have. I would like to help them mentally and physically, so their dreams can become their reality.

No comments: