Have you caught 'BDPA FEVER' this year? If so, it's the type of thing you DO want to share! If not, you are missing out...and missing all of the fantastic OPPORTUNITIES, NETWORKING and EDUCATION, that your local BDPA chapter has to offer. This year, our chapters have offered more than 200 programs meetings, and over 600 HSCC hours, reaching more than half of our members with email communications, radio programs, fund raisers and more!
If you haven't caught the BDPA FEVER going around, visit our website for all of the upcoming chapter programs and networking events coming your way. As always, we thrive from the hard work of our members and we need your continued support. Join a Committee! Be INvolved!
The 35th Annual BDPA Technology Conference was a great success! With attendance just under 900, attendees took in four days of well received education sessions along with many opportunities to network and exchange ideas and best practices.
During the conference members also elected the 2014-2015 Board of Directors and I would like to take this opportunity to pledge my support to the team:
- Craig Brown - National President
- Pamela Sexton - National Vice President
- Loraine Stewart-David - National Vice President of Finance
- Teresa Williams - South Region Vice President
- Felicia Jones - South Region Director
- Fred Smith - Northeast Region Vice President
- Lilla Hunter-Taylor - Northeast Region Director
- Michael Wulf - Midwest Region Vice President
September 2014 brought us 187 new members, as we see continued growth under the leadership of Vice President of Membership Management Curtis Jenkins, with the assistance of Chad White (membership database administer). I encourage all reading this letter to invest $100 in membership today. Take a look at September's top ten chapters.
- Chicago - president, Pamela Sexton
- Philadelphia - president, Eileen Gadsden
- Washington DC - president, Perry Carter
- Atlanta - president, Derrick Brown
- Cincinnati - president, Clarence Larcarte
- Dallas - president, Stacy Stewart
- Los Angeles - president, John Malonson
- New Jersey - president, Goldie Bonney
- New York - president, Renetta English
- Middle Nashville - president, Kendall Norris
Registration for the 2014 Conference opens on December 1st with Early Bird discounts available until January 1, 2014. New for next year is a conference and hotel package which includes:
- Access to educational sessions, receptions, plenary luncheons, executive panels and career fair
- Three- or four-night hotel stay (you choose your package)
The National BDPA Board of Directors quarterly meeting and annual High School Computer Competition (HSCC) Coordinators will meet in Reno, Nevada on November 13-15. During this weekend the National Executive Committee will transition roles and responsibilities to the incoming national officers. Moreover, we will continue the transformation of the HSCC program with the introduction of new leadership and a new team. All chapter leaders are invited to join us!
The HSCC planning meeting will include discussion of the following topics:
- Changes to the competition format
- Changes to the oral exam format
- Introducing a Mobile App competition
- Judging criteria & Scoring
- Operations Manual
- Retiring the written exam
Think you’ve done enough locally and ready to step up to the national level? You can do it, just drop me an email expressing your interest. We're fulfilling our resolution to make technology careers even more accessible to our members and the community at large!
On behalf of the Board of Directors, please catch BDPA FEVER and experience all that BDPA has to offer.
Monique Berry, president