Sunday, May 24, 2015

Yusuph Mkangara Uses Bemley Scholarship at Harvard University

Yusuph Mkangara
We last heard from Yusuph Mkangara when he returned home after his first experience in the 2010 national High School Computer Competition (HSCC) championship. Since then this remarkable young man returned with his BDPA Columbus teammates to take home the bronze medal at the 2011 national HSCC championship ... earning a Bemley Scholarship. He graduated from high school and is now in his second year at Harvard University.

We asked this young man to update our audience on his educational journey:

My name is Yusuph Mkangara. I am from Columbus, Ohio and my family and I are originally from Tanzania. I participated in HSCC in 2010 and 2011 as a freshman and sophomore. I had never really thought about information technology as a career path but the program certainly paid dividends as our representative team from Columbus went on to take third place in 2011.
I received my high school diploma in 2013 and I am now attending Harvard University. My joint/double major is African Studies and Sociology. While I do not have a set career path yet, I am interested in the field of education and hope to teach and conduct research in education after graduation. In the past year, I have been fortunate enough to conduct research with the guidance of a professor at Harvard and a full research team as a partnership with a local Boston Area high school.
Rest assured, my interest in information technology and computer science is still alive and well. While my trajectory is not typical of those in the STEM fields, I am hoping to later on integrate IT skills in my work in education. One of the things that most excite me about the classroom of “tomorrow” is that technology has the potential to play a transformative role in how we approach education. I think with both technological know-how and experience as a teacher and researcher, I will be in a great position to innovate the field of education by using skills that I first began learning during preparation for my first HSCC."

Yusuph is an example of the powerful stories being told by all of the young people who participate in the K-12 STEM programs implemented by BDPA at a local, regional or national level. Many individuals and corporations see that BDPA is preparing and enabling the next generation of technology, STEM and digital thought leaders.

You can help! Please take a moment and make a donation to our Dr. Jesse Bemley Scholarship Fund.

No comments: