Tuesday, October 19, 2010

HSCC Testimonial: Khadijah LoveJoy (2005)

Khadijah LoveJoy is a young mother entering her freshman year as a criminal justice major at West Virginia State University. She was a member of the high school computer competition (HSCC) team, trained by BDPA Hartford chapter, that took home the silver medal in the 2005 national HSCC championships held in Detroit.

She shared her thoughts on the experience with our blog:

Back in the day it was said that women would be unfit for motherhood and marriage if they had a good education. It was a very old saying and it holds no truth in this age or time. Women with education succeed, prosper, and allow themselves to have more opportunities than those without education. And I can truly testify to this.

In 2004, I joined BDPA to further my education in IT and website building. I was one of the very few females from the Hartford Public Schools to join this “club” and become involved in the unthinkable. Unthinkable meaning: hard work, a job that took determination, a job that took persistence. I possessed all these skills but BDPA allowed me to show the skills I needed to be a “winner”.

I used these skills as part of the team that earned second place in the 2005 national HSCC champhionships. BDPA taught me to work as part of a team, become a professional in my work and further my knowledge in many areas outside of the classroom.

BDPA also gave me comfort to be around other youth that shared the same passion as me. I couldn’t get that in my school. I was considered a “nerd” ... an outsider. The program ensured me that “education is the key”. It had been one of the BEST programs I’ve been involved in. The program helped me build my leadership skills. I took risks, I panicked, I was scared when I got to Detroit for the national HSCC championships. But when I spoke to leaders and students from all over the U.S. they gave me comfort and guidance. I’ve learned so much from BDPA and still do to this day. I still use that knowledge I’ve gained.

Over the past six (6) years I held high positions in my school and at work because of my experience with BDPA. I used the layout skills that I learned with BDPA to serve as President and Layout Editor of my high school newspaper. I used the marketing and design skills taught by BDPA to land a job with a non-profit. BDPA has opened up so many doors for me over the past few years. And I thank BDPA by the grace of God for starting a foundation of knowledge for me that is allowing me to succeed.



Khadijah is an example of the positive impact BDPA is having on our young people. However, we need your support if we hope to continue doing so. Share some love with Khadijah by making a secure online donation to the BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF).

No comments: