Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Take Five: Monica Ellis-Gorham (Philadelphia)

Monica Ellis-Gorham is a dedicated volunteer with our BDPA Philadelphia chapter. She has worked hard to support efforts such as TECHie Camp and the Student Information Technology Education & Scholarship (SITES) program.

It was recently pointed out to us that Monica is a 'Member on the Move'. She recently won election to serve as president of Peirce College’s ITSA-ACM Student Chapter.

Monica agreed to participate in our 'Take Five' interview series:

  1. How did you get involved with BDPA? - I was at my first ITSA meeting at Peirce College back in September of 2010. Professor Richard Tillies talked about various IT organizations, including BDPA. I went to the national and local websites when I got home that night. After being online for several hours absorbing information, I decided to join. I wanted to be part of an organization that I could somehow contribute to make a difference in as well as be a part of an organization where I could grow personally and professionally. Three weeks later I attended my first program meeting. It was one of the Recruiter Roundtable meeting the chapter hosts. No one knew who I was but I wanted to jump in and help any way that I could. As time went on, I began learning more about the SITES Program and I was asked if I would be interested in helping out in the role of Assistant Coordinator and the rest is history.
  2. What is the most rewarding aspect of working with BDPA? - The most rewarding aspect of working with BDPA is working to promote the organization and what it has to offer for professionals, college and high school students and now hopefully middle school and elementary students through TECHie Camps. It is rewarding to know what BDPA stands for and me being a part of organization, introducing the program to more people and working with the SITES program is making a difference.
  3. You were recently elected president of the ACM student chapter at Peirce College. Do you see future collaboration between BDPA & ACM? - When I decided to run for President, I thought about how it would be nice to be able to have events where ITSA ACM and BDPA that would bring both groups together. I have not figured out how or what yet but when I do, hopefully we can then put something together for BDPA and ACM Nationally.
  4. What /would future evolution or change would you like to see in BDPA's STEM-based training? - Being that I am fairly new to BDPA and still learning what all BDPA's STEM-based programs have to offer, I am not quite sure what I would like to see in the future. What I do know is that I am committed to BDPA and STEM-based programs and I will help any way I can to move the program forward to help it benefit as many students as possible.
  5. Any advice for people considering donation to BETF? - I would strongly encourage them to donate to the BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF). I would encourage them to donate by explaining the programs that BETF support and showing how having the programs benefit our communities. I would also encourage them to visit a BETF supported program so they can see for themselves what the program is about and what it has to offer.

Monica proves the point that a person can make a difference right away if they set their mind to do so. Share some BDPA-Love with Monica using the POST REPLY feature on this blog!

No comments: