Saturday, June 25, 2011

Bemley Scholar Trene Long-Reed Heads to University of West Georgia

Trene Long-Reed earned a Dr. Jesse Bemley Scholarship because of her performance as a member of the BDPA Atlanta High School Computer Competition (HSCC) team that did so well at the 2008 national BDPA HSCC Championship. She is using her Bemley Scholarship to help defray her costs for attending the University of West Georgia where she plans to earn a 'pre-medicine' degree.

We asked Trene to share her thoughts on BDPA:

My name is Trene Long-Reed and I am a proud member of the BDPA Atlanta chapter since 2008. This program has allowed me various opportunities and experiences that I know I would have never received if I didn’t join. BDPA is like a second family to me. Not only did they teach me how to code computers, but they also taught me management, communication, and much more.

Since being in this program I am now able to speak in front of large crowds and I learned how to take charge and complete different types of projects. BDPA has taught me how to network with diverse people from all over the country. I learned so much from this program. I know that all the experience I have received from this program will definitely help me in the future.

Thanks to Coach Wes Williams and the entire BDPA Atlanta High School Computer Competition (HSCC) volunteers. They have truly done a fantastic job educating high school students about technology. If there was an award for HSCC Program of the Year, they would win it hands down.

BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF) is very proud of Trene. We are hopeful that she will find ways to stay connected with BDPA for the remainder of her career.

Our hope is that BETF will be able to continue giving out these Bemley Scholarships ... but, we need your help to do so. Won't you consider making a secure online donation to support our scholarship efforts?

No comments: