Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Bemley Scholar Cameron Reaves Begins STEM-Based Education at Harvard University

BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF) is proud to announce that Cameron Reaves will use the Bemley Scholarship awarded all the members of the BDPA Atlanta High School Computer Competition (HSCC) team with a $5,000 college scholarship at Harvard University. He earned three Bemley Scholarships based on his work at the High School Computer Competition at the 2014 ($500), 2015 ($2,000) and 2016 ($2,500) BDPA Technology Conferences.

We asked Cameron to share his thought about BDPA with us:

Cameron Reaves * Bemley Scholar
"My name is Cameron Reaves and I am a freshman at Harvard University studying Computer Science and Environmental Science. I am from Duluth, GA and participated in four years of BDPA, beginning right when I started high school. I hope to combine my two interests to impact the energy/environmental sector using computing problem solving skills and technology expertise. I am currently planning to attend graduate school after college to earn a PHD, but anything can happen!

My involvement with BDPA was pivotal in my growth as a student and also my decision to pursue STEM. I have always been a big reader, so I loved literature and history (and still do). Prior to BDPA, I had no experience coding or learning about computers, so I probably would have continued down the path I was more familiar with. However, my father brought me to an introductory meeting my freshman year, and after that I joined the Atlanta Chapter and didn't look back! I am thankful for my time spent in the program and the many individuals I met. In the future, I hope to remain apart of the organization, volunteering to share its wonderful benefits to kids who were just like me.:

BDPA is blessed to have such a young and talented student as a winner of the Bemley Scholarship. We look forward to supporting Cameron's career as he seeks to advance in the technology industry!

No comments: