Thursday, February 7, 2008

BDPA Leader Marcus Mack Dies In Costa Rica After Saving Boy


Friends, family and BDPA associates are mourning the loss of a past BDPA Southern Minnesota leader who saved the life of a 10-year-old boy off the coast of Costa Rica, but couldn't make it to shore himself. Thirty-five-year-old Marcus Mack was vacationing in Costa Rica on Feb. 7. He was playing in the water with his friend David Tines (BDPA So Minnesota past president), Tines' 10-year-old son, and the girl of another friend when a wave sucked the group under water.

Tines says Marcus went to the aid of Tines' son D'Angelo. He grabbed the boy by the waist and threw him toward the shore. The boy, his father and the girl all made it to the beach.

But Marcus never made it to shore.

David Tines says Marcus is a hero who saved a boy's life instead of worrying about his own.

Marcus attended several conferences so many BDPA members may remember him. He is the father of three young children so a fund has been set up to help support his family. Donations can be sent to:


'The Mack Fund'
Edward Jones
4057 28th St. N.W., Suite 400
Rochester, MN 55901

The story of his heroism is told in more detail here and here. Please keep his family, David's family and the entire Southern MN Chapter in your prayers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marcus was my sister's fiance. Her son is my nephew. When I heard that Marcus had drowned, I just rememebered all the good times and good memories that his family and my family had together. Marcus was fun, loving, smart, tough, and was very sweet and conservative of others than himself. I would always imagine him saving someone else's life than his own. He was just that man who would do that. Marcus was an amazing man, but now he has 3 children, who are so young and don't have many memories with him. My nephew has just turned 3. His dad was not there for his birthday party. When my nephew goes past a graveyard he would say that he loves his daddy and that he misses him like 1000000000 times. I love that Marcus saved that boy, but who was there to save him? Marcus have 3 kids who miss him and need him during hard times. I just wish that he would have been saved too. Marcus was and IS a AMAZING MAN, and if you didnt know him, I feel sorry for you! Love you Marcus and you will forever be in our hearts!

Unknown said...

Tashadiver20 - I feel your pain. I'm urging the BDPA Southern Minnesota chapter to name their annual student scholarship after Marcus. I think it should be the Marcus Mack Scholarhip. This would create Marcus Mack scholars in Rochester, MN every year in the future. It would be a remarkable tribute by BDPA Southern Minnesota chapter in memory of Marcus...