Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Can You Provide Videogame Programmer Career Advice?


One of our HSCC alumni asked me the following question,


"Do you know of any programs that promote/support minorities and women entering the videogame industry? I will be going to the University of North Carolina (Charlotte) in the fall to pursue a degree in Computer Science and a Certificate in Game Design and Development. I want to become a Lead Videogame Programmer.

I'm very excited about deciding to do so, and want to give myself as much preparation for the industry as possible. I would have loved to attend the Game Developers 2008 Conference in San Francisco this week, but unfortunately I am too young to be admitted inside. If you find out about any such programs, may you please announce their existence for other minority/female students like me? Thanks again for your reply."

BETF-Blog Readers, do you have any thoughts you can share in the COMMENTS section below?

2 comments:

monique_jones08 said...

Yes, I am very concerned about becoming one of the apparently few African American females in the videogame industry. I realize that this is not an easy field to get into regardless, but I would greatly appreciate any advice that can be offered in its regard. I am currently taking an Introduction to Simulation and Game Design course at a community college until the fall, using the Game Maker application. Is there any other programs that you may also recommend that I study on my own? Thank you!

Unknown said...

Monique - Thank you for sharing your query with us in the first place. We shared your question with BDPAers through our various online communities. I understand that you have received some good responses over the past 48 hours. Is that right?