Monday, July 13, 2009

HSCC Testimonial: Andreaus Robinson (Chicago)


BETF is actively raising funds to support youth education programs taking place all over the nation. In today's tight economy it is important that all BETF donors clearly understand why we need financial support. We hope that as you learn more about the young people that we support ... you will be more open to secure online donation.

Today, we would like to introduce you to a national champion and Jesse Bemley Scholar. Andreaus Robinson and his teammates, trained by BDPA Chicago chapter, won the national championship in 2006. Andreaus earned a bronze medal for his efforts at the national high school computer competition (HSCC) held in 2007.

Here are his thoughts on BDPA:


My name is Andreaus Robinson; I participated on national High School Computer Competition (HSCC) teams trained by BDPA Chicago chapter in 2006 and 2007. Our team won the championship in 2006 and took third place in 2007.

I am currently a sophomore at the University of Illinois in Champaign. My major at this point is computer science; however, I plan to pursue a minor in business and possibly degrees in electrical and mechanical engineering. I know this may sound like a lot, but I am a highly ambitious person I have many career goals I plan to pursue. I desire a career in robotics, which is why I am trying to get so many degrees; I want to know as much as I can about the different sides of robotics. I also plan to one day own my technology company, which is why I also want to minor in business so that I’ll be fairly business-savvy as well.

Over the years, I have had the pleasure of interning for several different companies. The first was for my dad’s architecture company when I was only 15, for which I designed a project management tool based off the needs of the company. My next internship opportunity came in 2006 when I worked for a professor at DePaul University. I worked with Professor Jane Huang and her team to design a traceability application that they were building for Siemens. This provided a great opportunity for me because my name was published on a project and I got the opportunity to work with a group of foreign students.

My most recent internship was in 2008, when I was working for Allstate Insurance Company as a developer helping to create the next installment of the employee desktop page. This was a wonderful opportunity for me because it was a large project and I was able to learn a lot while working on this project, as well as personally work with people who had been programming for years. It was also nice to see firsthand how life working in IT might actually be.

I owe my thanks to BDPA for acquiring this internship, because Willie Anderson an active member of BDPA as well as the IT director at Allstate helped me acquire this position.

Share some BDPA-Love with Andreaus and the BDPA Chicago chapter volunteers that worked with him in 2006-2007!

No comments: