Monday, April 26, 2010

Take Five: Patrick Nelson (Cincinnati)

I met Patrick in the mid-1990s when I first came to Cincinnati, Ohio. He amazed me for a number of reasons ... not the least of which was the amazing house he and his wife purchased in order to raise their boys. He recently asked all of the past presidents of BDPA Cincinnati chapter to come together in support of efforts by the Corporate Advisory Council to acheive various chapter success metrics in 2010.

Anyhow, I'm pleased that Patrick agreed to participate in our Take Five interview series:

  1. How did you get involved in working with BDPA? - About 5 years after I joined P&G I met Daryl Turner. Daryl introduced me to BDPA by inviting me to my first BDPA meeting. Daryl also mentored me as I applied myself and took on the roll of "Administrative Liaison" to the Corporate Advisory Council for the Cincinnati Chapter. I did everything from taking notes to sending out reminders and planning the agenda for the CAC chair who at the time was Toni Miles of CSC Consulting. I held many other roles over the years and will continue serving as long as BDPA stays relevant in creating opportunities for our youth and our members to build a better life for themselves via technology careers.
  2. What is the most rewarding aspect of working with BDPA? - Knowing that I am making a difference the lives of not only the children through the youth programs but of some of the members as well. I have helped several make valuable connections in their times of transition from one job to another. I have volunteered in almost all the BDPA roles over my many years as a member.
  3. Tell us about a defining moment in your life? - One of the most significant moments in my life was when my wife and I chose to accept an assignment in Geneva, Switzerland. It was truly a life-changing 3 years and it opened our eyes to the broader world beyond the US and the American political close mindedness. We traveled all over Europe and even ended our assignment with one last two-week vacation to Thailand. We loved the expat life so much we wanted to see if the family would adjust well to an Asian assignment. Sadly the opportunity did not materialize though we did love Thailand. My children still remember their time abroad as a very adventure filled and fun time in their lives. We would do it again if given the opportunity.
  4. Who is your hero and why? - I don't believe I have anyone I would place in the realm of hero but I do have several people I highly respect. One such person would be Mr. Robert Scott. Mr. Scott was also very involved with BDPA Cincinnati. He also served as the CAC Chair. He rose to the level of VP of Technology Services Worldwide for P&G. He has served as both a role model and mentor for me as I have traveled the BDPA & P&G journey. HE continues to serves as a role model as he serves as an officer of ITSMF.
  5. Any advice for people considering donation to BETF? - Every individual has to decide how they will be of service to others and giving to the BETF is a great way to serve others. To reuse a common slogan Just do it! Just donate!

Patrick is the type of brother that you hope to have as a friend or colleague. I'm grateful to the time, talent and energy that he gives in support of BDPA.

No comments: