- Hosted our 3rd Annual Career Fair – The event offered resume makeovers, mock interviews, one on one career coaching and a Critical Success workshop.
- Created 4 new programs:
- Tech Talk Webinar Series – Bi-monthly webinar series which were informational and educational. The webinars were on the latest IT trends, topics and what’s affecting the IT community.
- Success Alliance - A professional development support program which helped the individual to define and set their career, business or academic goals
- College Liaison Program (CLP) - We expanded our mentoring programs to the college level. Through a partnership with DeVry University, our CLP mentored computer science students for future success.
- Learn by Doing (LBD) - Learning and gaining valuable IT experience by volunteering and participating on a live technical project.
We launched our 2012 Student Information Technology Education & Scholarship (SITES) / High School Computer Competition (HSCC) program in January. We trained 15 high school students in HTML, SQL, CSS, MySQL, PHP, Eclipse IDE, project management, oral presentation skills, and teamwork. This year, our students were not only the South Regional Champions, but also, for the first time in 27 years of the HSCC competition, the National Champions! Our students also made history by becoming the first team ever to receive a perfect programming score.
We gave back to the community through various community outreach events and programs. We volunteered at the Norcross Community Co-op Food Bank where we stocked shelves and racks with donated food, clothing and household supplies. We held a back-to-school supplies and canned food drive for The Bridge Builders & Norcross Co-op organizations. Our outreach in the community continued when we got “down and dirty" at the Atlanta Community Food Bank’s community garden and just two weeks ago, we partnered with the North Fulton Community Charities to adopt a family of four for the holidays.
With the generosity and support of sponsors, BDPA members and the community, we were able to uphold our focus of ‘Building and Growing a Stronger BDPA’ in the Atlanta area and we are counting on your support, AGAIN, in 2013!
Felicia Jones, president
BDPA Atlanta Chapter