Thursday, February 18, 2010

BETF Provides Scholarships

BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF) provides scholarships to high school students that made the excellent choice to participate in BDPA training initiatives. BETF is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that exists solely to support the 21st century student education and technology initiatives of 45 BDPA local chapters across the United States.

I built websites for my school and became a Graphic User Interface Programmer for the High School Computer Competition team, discovering the vast creative perspectives in the field of IT on a nationwide competitive level.” -- Darius Gaines (Detroit, 2006) Darius won a Bemley Scholarship in 2006 that he used at Lawrence Technological University

I received a scholarship award from Bank of America that has greatly benefited me in my college career. The most memorable thing from my years participating with HSCC is all of the friends that I have made. I have met so many unforgettable people not only from Richmond, but from across the country.” -- Karole Johnson (Richmond, 2006) Karole won a Bank of America Scholarship for BDPA Students in 2006 that she used at High Point University

I cannot put into words how much I grew as an IT professional, but just as a person interacting with an organization that had a family feel to it. There are so many positives about being on a HSCC team, I do not even know where to begin. You learn team-building skills, working with a deadline, presentation skills, leadership development, research/creative skills, networking skills… the list is almost endless." -– Evan Hilliard (Charlotte, 2000-2001) Evan is an example of 'classroom to boardroom' cycle. He is now an IT professional returning to BDPA Charlotte as the chapter's 2010 HSCC co-coordinator
They taught me that companies are looking for leaders and you have to be able to go out there and present yourself. Thanks to HSCC, I am now more sociable and outgoing than I ever thought I would be. I have been practicing my networking skills with the faculty around the school as a senior this year, and I can honestly testify to you that opportunities definitely comes to those who seek!” -- Monique Jones (Charlotte, 2008) - Monique challenged us to provide scholarships to more students in the future
BETF has given out more than $170,000 in scholarships in our brief history. Our students are achieving their dreams and developing the necessary skills to compete in the global workplace of tomorrow.

However, none of this is possible without the support of individuals, corporate foundations or other nonprofit foundations that want to see these young people succeed. We've been blessed in the past to work with Bank of America, Eli Lilly and Ernst & Young to provide scholarships to our young people. Who is going to step up in 2010 to provide scholarship funding?

Tax deductible, BETF donations can be done online, thru company matching programs and thru payroll deductions at your place of employment.

Please call BETF on (513) 284-4968 if you would like to support our scholarship programs in 2010 or beyond.

No comments: