Monday, October 20, 2008

HSCC Testimonial: Darius Gaines (Detroit)


We are proud to introduce you to Darius Gaines. He is one of the rare students in our history to be a 3-time competitor in the national BDPA high school computer competition (HSCC). He represented BDPA Detroit chapter at national conferences held in Detroit, Los Angeles and Washington DC. Darius earned a $1,000 Jesse Bemley Scholarship when his team finished in 4th place at the 2007 competition.

Darius and I connnected on Facebook. We have a HSCC Alumni group on Facebook with over 160 subscribers. Darius was kind enough to share his thoughts on the BDPA youth education program:


“I built websites for my school and became a Graphic User Interface Programmer for the Black Data Processing Associates' High School Computer Competition Detroit chapter, discovering the vast creative perspectives in the field of IT technology on a nationwide competitive level.

My connections with the BDPA even got me a job with a local small business as a program developer in turn, setting me off to do web development as my own employer to various clients -most of which express high customer satisfaction of the work I do. The people I got to meet were very helpful, and became a hardwired network of opportunity.

Now I'm a freshman student at Lawrence Technological University, majoring in graphic design and imaging. Over the entirety of my academic career, I'd have to say my love for arts and technology has been the most consistent - even over sports, and politics - I can honestly say I believe what I have planned for myself will make a difference. As a student in graphic design, I can obtain the skills to influence thinking through art and concept.”


Our hope is that BETF-Blog Readers will support our efforts to fund BDPA programs so that we can make a difference for more young brothers and sisters like Darius. It begins with you. Can you make an online donation today?

No comments: