Wednesday, August 22, 2012

HSCC Alum Nnedimma Ugochukwu Shares Her Thoughts on BDPA

Nnedimma Ugochukwu approached me at the 2012 National BDPA Technology Conference to talk about support that I might provide in her efforts to get into college. Nnedimma is a rising senior at Banneker High School in the Washington DC area. 

She agreed to share her thoughts on BDPA and the High School Computer Competition (HSCC) program with us:

When I first started HSCC back in my freshman year in high school, I was excited because I always wanted to learn how to make a website. I began attempting to learn how to do so on my own before I started thanks to the social networking websites that I used. Even trying to do it on my own, it wasn’t enough because after some time, I got stuck and very confused. When I began HSCC, I learned the material with a click. Even if I did not understand what Mr. Lou Shack, my instructor taught, I always asked questions and volunteered. If his answers did not help, I went home and looked up what we learned. Another thing about me was every time we received an assignment, I did it right away as soon as I got home. I never waited till Friday to get it done. I was so into in that made me to work so hard. As the months moved by, the material we learned became so much harder, but I stayed with them till the end.


The HSCC championship was a great experience. Out of all of the conferences that I attended, the one in Baltimore was the best. The competition shows how much you know based on all the months of learning and practicing. Along with the actual competition, I got to experience the Career Expo for the first time by speaking with different companies about what they do in their field and asking what I should do to prepare myself when I finish high school. I was inspired and was able to receive contact info from many companies. From one of the DC HSCC Alumni, Francisco Nunez, He told me networking is the key. I did not know what networking was before I began at HSCC and I see why it’s so important now.

BDPA has put me on the path to study Computer Science in college moving towards a Computer Programmer with a minor in Computer Graphics. I was already on the path of computers before I joined thanks to my father, but BDPA was the base to building me up the staircase to my goal. I came to the program confident and learned so much, thanks to my teachers and my fellow students.

If you’re considering joining HSCC, make your first impression look good toward the teachers. Go to class willing to learn something new and different. If you’re not that good when you start off, ask for help. Don’t be afraid to reach out to others. The program is also a commitment so working outside of class will make you better. Staying consistent throughout the program will get you far not only in the program, but in life.

BETF encourages you to help us provide college scholarships for young people like Nnedimma. Click here to 'make it so'!

No comments: