Tuesday, March 1, 2011

HSCC Testimonial: Francisco Nunez (Washington DC, 2006-2010)

Francisco Nunez holds a unique position within the 25-year history of the BDPA High School Computer Competition (HSCC) championships for two reasons. First, he may be the first student to ever compete in five (5) different HSCC championships. Second, he is the only student to ever represent 3 different BDPA chapters in the national championships.
  • 2006, Washington DC
  • 2007, Washington DC
  • 2008, Northern VA
  • 2009, Baltimore
  • 2010, Washington DC
Francisco has many fond memories of the national conferences that he attended in 2006-2010. He earned $5,500 from the Dr. Jesse Bemley Scholarship fund as a result of his performance in these national HSCC championships.  Francisco also earned Oracle Scholarship honors in 2010 and 2011.  He is using his scholarship funds to attend Morehouse College.

When asked to reflect on his accomplishments within BDPA, Francisco wrote,
"My name is Francisco Nunez of the BDPA Washington DC Chapter. I have been in the High School Computer Competition (HSCC) program for half a decade. I have many fond memories of the national conferences that I’ve attended during that time.

One of those memories came in 2006 when our team placed high enough to earn a Bemley Scholarship. It was my first year and I worked hard with my teammates to get there. When I heard the coordinator calling out our chapter has one of the winners … it was like nothing I have ever felt.

I fought every year after that to hold on to that feeling. My team has placed near the top every year since. We were never able to place in first place; however, placing in the top 3 for five years is nothing to sneeze at.

I have no regrets
.”

No comments: