Friday, October 24, 2008

HSCC Testimonial: Tarik Massac (Washington DC)


We are proud to introduce our BETF-Blog Readers to a young brother who came very close to bringing home a national high school computer competition (HSCC) championship to Washington DC for the first time since 1990. Tarik Massac was a member of silver medal HSCC teams trained by BDPA Washington DC in both 2007 and 2008. Tarik earned Jesse Bemley Scholarship funding of $4,000 for his HSCC efforts.

Here are his thoughts on the HSCC experience over the past few years:



My name is Tarik Massac; I was born and raised in Washington D.C, and eventually moved to Maryland where I completed most of my education. I just recently graduated from Eleanor Roosevelt High School. I plan to attend Prince George’s Community College (PGCC). I am majoring in computer science with every intention to make my career in the information technology industry. After my two years at PGCC, I plan to attend a local university to receive my bachelor’s degree in computer science. I have had work experience in the computer field as an administrative assistant at the Patriots Technology Training Center, where I found out about the BDPA and HSCC.


I have been part of the HSCC for three years, with this being my final year. I would have to say that my most memorable moment would be that of the actual competition. Despite all the stories you have heard, it really is something you have to experience for yourself. Participating in the HSCC, as well as preparing for it, has taught me many things about working in computer-related fields. The team does most, if not all, the work. Even then, you do not simply spend all your time programming, if anything, that’s the least amount of time spent on a project. Along with that, planning and designing is essential to coming up with a good product, which is something that I had never really thought about. I am very glad that the HSCC has really shone light on my field of choice.


BDPAers, we want to give out 2-year scholarship commitments to the HSCC winners next year at the 2009 conference in Raleigh NC. We can only do that if we raise sufficient money for the Bemley Scholarship Fund. Won't you consider making a pledge today? You can do so by making an online donation or an email pledge. What say u?

No comments: