I share these insights on ways that BDPA can help those members that are unemployed or under-employed.
- BDPA Career Coaches - Career coaching service is provided through a collaraborative effort between Blacks Gone Geek (Milt Haynes) and other career coaches such as Linwood Bailey, Deborah Chambers Chima, Tanya Hinton, Franne McNeal and Pat Perkins
- BDPA Career Fair - BDPA provides a live, face-to-face opportunity for anyone seeking a career in the IT industry at the BDPA career fair held during the 32nd annual BDPA Technology Conference in Philadelphia, PA on July 28-31, 2010.
- BDPA-Jobs YahooGroup - This online community is open to any employer that wants to post IT job opportunities or contracts and anyone (particularly BDPA members) may retrieve and apply for employment. Currently, there are over 2000 subscribers. Last month there were over 170 IT-based career postings.
- BDPA Groupsite Career Center - There are over 2340 subscribers to our BDPA Groupsite. One of the most active discussion areas is the 'Career Center'
- BDPA LinkedIn Jobs Networks - Career opportunities and other discussions about employment.
- BDPA Talent Management System (part of BDPA Career Center) - This is the primary source of employment opportunities for BDPA members and supporters. BDPA corporate sponsors post IT career opportunities on a regular basis. There are currently 58 job postings ready for your immediate consideration. You should ensure that your current resume is posted in this system as these same sponsors often mine the resume database for private one-on-one interviews.
- Small Business Development Centers - Small Business Development Centers (SBDC) provide management assistance to current and prospective small business owners. SBDCs offer one-stop assistance to individuals and small businesses by providing a wide variety of information and guidance in central and easily accessible branch locations. The services provided by SBDC are free and available in your city.
- Who's Hiring Now - The Who’s Hiring Initiative is all about connecting people with jobs. The Who's Hiring Team uses “word of mouth” to find out who’s hiring and social networking tools to pass the word on hot job opportunities.
Please let me know if you have other resources that you think should be added to this list. Also, feel free to share your experience with any of these employment resources.